Drawings by 12 students from the Kivalliq region are featured in the 2019 Let’s Be Aware/Ujjiqsuqta calendar.
Grade 6 to 8 youth in the region participated in a calendar contest to illustrate the importance of responsible alcohol use. The winning artwork was chosen by Kivalliq Members of the Legislative Assembly based on how well the drawings expressed the message about responsible alcohol use and on their creativity and artistry.
The competition helped get youth and others thinking about the benefits of responsible alcohol use as part of the Let’s Be Aware/Ujjiqsuqta campaign.
An award for the best drawing went to Preston M, whose art is on the cover of the calendar and on one of the months. He also received a $250 gift card. Drawings by the other 11 winning artists illustrate the other months and the students each received a $100 gift card. All participating classes will enjoy a free lunch.
Congratulations to the 12 artists:
- Preston M. (grade six, Baker Lake; also the winner of best drawing)
- Sally A. (grade six, Baker Lake)
- Kyra M. (grade six, Baker Lake)
- Heidi D. (grade seven, Baker Lake)
- Bertha G. (grade five, Chesterfield Inlet)
- Emily I. (grade six, Chesterfield Inlet)
- Angelina N. (grade six, Coral Harbour)
- Nolan N. (grade six, Coral Harbour)
- Genovive K. (grade six, Naujaat)
- Mike N. (grade seven, Naujaat)
- Corrine O. (grade eight, Whale Cove)
- Valerie O. (grade eight, Whale Cove)
A printable version of the calendar is available here.
Watch for details about more competitions in the coming months!